What makes spaying and neutering so important? First, it’s one of the most humane ways to control animal overpopulation and ensure a better quality of life for dogs and cats. Additionally, it can prevent certain health and behavioral issues from developing later on. We offer our spay and neuter services to Long Grove as a way of making the community an even better place for pets, and helping owners enjoy the strongest and longest-lasting bond possible with their four-legged family members.
The Benefits of Spaying/Neutering Your Pet
You deserve to see and understand the benefits of spaying or neutering your pet. Our goal in offering spay and neuter procedures is to increase every pet’s chances of living longer and being their healthiest self.
- Prevents unwanted pregnancies
- Prevents female pets from going into heat and prevents the messy spotting that accompanies the heat cycle
- Reduces your pet’s chances of developing mammary tumors (breast cancer)
- Prevents your pet from developing ovarian and uterine cancers
- Decreases your pet’s roaming instincts (to find a mate)
- Can help to reduce aggression in males, especially if there are females in heat nearby
- Prevents dogs and cats from impregnating others
- Reduces your pet’s chances of developing prostate cancer
- Prevents your pet from developing testicular cancer
- Decreases your pet’s roaming instincts (to find a mate), along with inappropriate mounting behaviors and marking/spraying
When to Have Your Pet Spayed or Neutered
Every pet is different, and our highest priority is making sure your pet is healthy and sufficiently developed before undergoing surgery. The ideal age for small to medium-sized dogs is about 6 months of age, but large and extra-large breeds need to wait longer. Spaying or neutering too soon can have negative health consequences as well. Building a health history for your pet and understanding their condition and needs is vital to spaying/neutering them at the proper time. You’re more than welcome to consult with us if you have any questions or need to schedule their surgery.