Cats see their veterinarian far less than dogs do, despite requiring a similar level of care. Because we care about our feline patients and want to see them more routinely, we decided to become a certified Cat Friendly Practice—a place where your cat can relax and feel safe, while also being more receptive to treatment. Continuing education has helped us understand feline behavior on a higher level and find better solutions to problems that cat owners commonly face.
When you visit us, you can expect a patient, knowledgeable team that will meet your feline family member on their terms and, hopefully, change the way they perceive visits to the vet.
How We’re Different from a Non-Cat Friendly Clinic
There are quite a few things we do a bit differently around here in order to accommodate our feline patients. Some of these include:
- Having a cat-only exam room complete with cat tree and feline pheromone diffusers (pheromones can go a long way towards calming your cat)
- Having a bird feeder outside the exam room for visual enrichment
- Using less “hands on” restraint techniques
- Maintaining a cat-only ward for surgery recovery and hospitalization
- Offering guidance to cat owners on how to reduce stress associated with the cat carrier and traveling to our practice
Helping Cats and Their Humans
We enjoy seeing our feline patients and helping their families better understand their needs. Cats are very skilled at hiding illness and can become easily stressed when taken out of a familiar environment. When these and other factors are combined, it can make going to the vet seem daunting at best for both the cat and their human. With the Cat Friendly Practice program, our goal is to help cats and their loving owners overcome these obstacles and see their annual vet visits as an opportunity for a happier, healthier life together.
To learn more about the Cat Friendly Practice initiative, click here. You’re also more than welcome to call us if you have questions for our team or want to bring your cat up to date with their annual wellness visits.